Monday, January 2, 2012

Clef of Infinity: an introduction

Growing up, I have had two things that I loved, and the first two lead me to my true love, which is writing. The first was reading and the second was music. This nerd was always reading. Sometimes two or three books at a time. Books always took me to a place other then the one I was in and filled me with wonder. Music has always been present, and seems to have a profound affect on me. It’s something about hearing that perfect song that so aptly describes the mood I’m in, the thoughts I am thinking or even encouraging me when I am feeling low.  Reading, writing and music is so much a part of me for so many reasons. Reasons that I will not be going into today. But during the course of this series, I’m sure it will be explained. Now its time to get to the reason for this blog.

I stated earlier that I love to write. Unfortunately, I haven’t been writing. The one creative outlet that I have at the moment, I seemed to, for so many silly reasons, have denied myself. And it’s a New Year’s resolution to push myself harder this year, than the last. And of course, the one way I am going to push myself is to write everyday. And so that’s the reason why I am writing this. It’s not because I have something uniquely profound to say, or even that much wisdom to impart. If I was half as wise as I like to think, there is no way my life would be the way it is now. But that’s for another day. So while I am trying to come up with a way to write every day, I needed something to allow myself to write everyday without the cop out “journal.”  So while searching for a way to make sure I write everyday even if its not on one of the many scripts I’ve started and never seemed to finish or the book I recently started. I needed something that was simple and without much pressure but more committing than a simple diary. Which leads to the inspiration for this.

I seem to have formed an addiction to Asian romantic comedies. Well the one I am recently watching, “Real Love Please Ring the Bell Twice,” gave me the inspiration. One of the main characters has a treble Clef as his lucky symbol. It was given to him by his pianist mother and was told that all beautiful music starts with a clef. So in life all you need is a clef and you can compose a piece of happiness.  This was very cute when I first saw this, because anyone that knows a little French or plays an instrument, knows that clef means “key.” So you only need a key to create your own happiness. That’s a nice thought already, but it gets much better as the romance deepens and talk of marriage arise. 

The main character wanting to share his luck and happiness, he decides to pass on another musical symbol to the woman in his life. He gives her a semibreve, a whole note.  Not doing much for you yet, is it? It wasn’t for me either. He had a necklace designed with two whole notes entwined.  And what does two whole notes entwined look like? It looks like the mathematical symbol for infinity.infinityLogo Now isn’t that wonderful. Of course at this point in the show a light bulb has gone off in my head and I know how I am going to start off my resolution to write everyday.  With a clef.

What can describe where I am right now in my life better than this? Holding a key and not really know what to do with it. I know one thing for certain though.  That is only I hold the key to my own happiness and only I can do what needs to be done to obtain it. So with the infinite possibilities before me, and now having a title for my series, I a going to write... And write… And even when I don’t feel inspired, to write. Who knows what this series will be about. I can honestly say that I really don’t know.  But just like with all the combination of notes for music is infinite, the possibilities are infinite. So I will just take it one day at a time. 

No comments: